Would you be surprised if I told you that I have been a vegetarian for over 11 years. I'll save that story for another day. Today I want to share a really yummy recipe. It is a recipe I created myself for a vegetable soup. It's thick and hearty and could almost be a vegetable stew. The tomato paste and the beets give this soup a beautiful rich reddish color which contrasts nicely with the orange carrots and the yellow sweet potato. It's a perfect soup for a chilly day. Just add a salad and possibly a slice of whole wheat bread and you have a great healthy vegetarian meal. It's also so quick and easy to prepare.
Chef Busy Butterfly's Vegetarian Vegetable Soup
Servings: Approx 10 1 cup Servings
- 1 Large Chopped Onion
- 4 Cloves of Fresh Garlic
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes diced to 1-2" cubes
- 3 Carrots Coarsely Chopped
- 1-2 Beets Diced
- 4 Cups Water
- 7 oz can of Tomato Paste
- 1 596 Fl Oz can of Chick Peas
- 2 TBS of Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Thyme
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium to high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions and garlic are tender and slightly browned on the edges.
- Add 4 cups of water and stir in tomato paste.
- As the water comes to a boil add carrots, sweet potato, Beet, Basil, Thyme and Bay Leaves. Simmer on low for about 40 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add Chick Peas and cook for another 10 minutes until chick peas are heated through.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 3.7
Sodium: 152.0 mg
Total Carbs: 21.7
Dietary Fiber: 4.6