Today as my first entry from the kitchen of Chef Busy.Butterfly I wanted to share a very easy but very yummy recipe that I use to make homemade granola bars. My kids love it. You can make it with just the oats and butter or you could add other little tidbits to it. Nuts, raisins, and craisins are a healthy addition. I have also thought for a little treat some chocolate chips would taste pretty good too. I know I can buy granola bars at the store but I have been striving to eliminate many of the preservatives and additives that are in packaged foods. My kids don't really understand why and actually they don't care one way or another as long as they get to have a little something to satisfy that sweet tooth. This seems to fit both my desires of less packaged food and the kids desire for some yummy.
Chef Busy.Butterfly's Granola Bars
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds
1. Melt Butter/Margarine and combine with brown sugar, vanilla and 1 slightly beaten egg.
2. Stir rolled oats and almonds into the brown sugar mixture. Mix well.
3. Press into a square pan and bake in a 350 F / 180 C oven for 15 min or until golden brown.
4. Let the bars cool before cutting into squares.